D31: Depart Palm Cove 12/1/2019

Low tide at Palm Cove was scheduled for 7:30 am, so we waited until 9:02 am to try our departure. We did not have any problems leaving the T-head and proceeded slowly out the channel. The lowest depth reading I noticed was 6 feet and we made it without a bump. Once in the ICW, the depths dropped off considerably and we immediately headed under the Beach Blvd high-rise bridge. Height was not an issue. BTW, the term for your mast clearance height is “air draft”. I had not heard that term until we started this trip.

We made great time heading south because the currents were favorable most of the time. We also had strong SW winds of 15-20 knots, but in many places, I could still put the Genoa out to get a boast in speed. I think the wind shifted a bit more to the West.   The winds for the night were forecast to swing around to the NW and blow about 20-30 knots, so we decided to look for either a mooring or a marina rather than bounce around all night.

None of the anchorages in the target area looked that inviting and all the deeper marinas were full. So, we stopped around 3:55 pm at the Marineland Marina, which is located next to the old Marineland park that is now a research facility. We arrived at near high tide, so we had no problem getting in.

The dockmaster and the other boaters were all very nice. I had to back into a slip with the wind blowing about 20 knots on my port beam. I think some of the slip occupants came out for a show, but I disappointed them and made it into the slip without hitting our downwind neighbor. Oddly enough, that boat was also from Virginia Beach. We started talking and they also kept their boat named Le Reve at Cobbs. They were docked on A dock, so we just never crossed paths. Amazing.

In the picture below, you see a flock of White Pelicans.  At this point, we knew were we really in Florida.  


Birds of a feather - White Pelicans (mostly)

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In